Wheatgrass Juice or Powder?
There is no shortage of wheatgrass juice on the market. Let’s take a closer look at the options:
Now let’s take a closer look at wheatgrass choices.
Or scroll down to read more about the Additives in Wheatgrass
Freshly Made Wheatgrass Juice
We think the very best choice is freshly squeezed wheatgrass juice drunk directly after squeezing. If you own a wheatgrass juicer then you?re on the right track!
Freshly Squeezed Wheatgrass Juice with HPP
Vegus Juices does not pretend to be the best option because there is nothing better than freshly squeezed wheatgrass juice. But if you?re looking for the next best thing this is it. Even better, the HPP process stimulates slightly more enzyme activity than freshly squeezed wheatgrass juice.
Frozen Wheatgrass Juice
There are 3 problems with frozen wheatgrass juice:
- When wheatgrass juice is frozen, about 5% of nutrients are lost due to exposure to air and the juice is oxidised.
- Cell walls burst during the freezing process and?release self-destruct enzymes called lysosomes. The purpose of lysosomes is to ensure cells that die are removed quickly and won’t interfere with the living plant.? However, once the wheatgrass juice is defrosted, the lysosomes also quickly start to decompose the juice.
- Defrosted juice that is oxidised or partially destroyed by its own lysosomes, then becomes a feeding ground for bacteria and fungi when the temperature of the juice is above freezing. This is a natural process since bacteria is nature’s mop-up mechanism.
Frozen juice decomposes much more rapidly than fresh and HPP juice because of these processes. If you drink defrosted wheatgrass juice you will be consuming dead cells and bacteria. This is why frozen-defrosted juice never tastes as good as fresh wheatgrass juice.
There are 2 reasons why wheatgrass powder is a far inferior choice:
Liquid in Wheatgrass
Once wheatgrass has been cut the shoots are heated to remove the liquid. The liquid is a key part of wheatgrass juice as it is not simply water, but contains essential electrolytes which, along with the nutrients, are lost in the processing of the powder. To understand just how important this liquid is, spend a week eating dehydrated foods only and then follow with a week eating mainly raw high-water content foods.
Normally, water in wheatgrass juice is entirely absorbed by our cells because it is supported by other molecules such as mineral salts, proteins and vitamins. It is also these micronutrients which assist the full digestion of all of the nutrients in the wheatgrass juice.
Nutrients in Wheatgrass
There is a reason we juice wheatgrass: it’s because we cannot digest wheatgrass shoots. Our bodies cannot break down the cellulose in the wheatgrass. Grinding the grass into a powder does not enable us to digest the nutrients since they are still locked inside the cellulose. In contrast juicing removes this cellulose and enables us to access the nutrients, which are stored in the plant liquid. When you consume wheatgrass powder, your body cannot access most of the nutrients and those that it can access can not be fully digested because of lack of supporting micronutrients, lost in the dehydration process.
How Wheatgrass Powder is Made
You won’t find a single video showing you how powders are made because then you would find out that, after the juice has been heated, there are no enzymes or nutrients left for you to consume.
Wheatgrass Powder Capsules
The same indigestible issues as wheatgrass powder apply here, but with added toxins from the capsules. Vegetarian capsules are made from?Hydroxypropylmethylcellulose or HPMC?and gelatin is derived from boiling bones and animal skin.
Watch out for additives which are added to organic and non-organic wheatgrass powder and capsules.
- Magnesium stearate is a flow agent, which is typically mixed with the powder to enable the capsules to be filled more easily. It can have a laxative effect and is an allergen.
- Calcium phosphate, is an anti-caking agent and even permitted in organic wheatgrass powders. It is a skin and eye irritant.
- Silica, is an anti-caking agent and permitted in organic wheatgrass powders. It displaces other minerals, is a diuretic and long-term use stresses the kidneys.
- Microcrystalline cellulose is an anti-caking agent. It can cause diarrhoea, gas, bloating and headaches.
- Rice extract is a bulking agent designed to make you think you are getting more nutrients than you are in reality.
Not all Wheatgrass is Equal
So we’ve talked about the processing but let’s take a closer look at growing methods which strongly influence the quality of juice produced.
Nutrient Levels in Wheatgrass
The other thing to watch out for is how the wheatgrass shoots are grown. If they are grown in water, make sure the producers are adding nutrients or your juice will be severely lacking.
Mould in Wheatgrass
Make sure your wheatgrass is free from mould – the vast majority of wheatgrass roots harbour thin strands of white mould. This is because the growing conditions necessary to propagate wheatgrass (warmth, water) also encourage mould. It is crucial not to consume mould if you are a cancer sufferer. Vegus Juices rinse our seeds every 5 minutes to ensure that no mould can grow.
Is Wheatgrass Gluten Free?
Unsprouted seeds that are juiced along with the wheatgrass shoots cause issue for those who are gluten-intolerant. It is very difficult to ensure that wheatgrass juice is completely free from wheatgrass?seeds because those of you who grow your own sprouts know that unsprouted seeds are a normal part of the growing process. Vegus Juices has spent 20 years perfecting a way of growing the shoots without unsprouted seed contamination.
How to Get the Perfect Wheatgrass Juice
We recommend you grow your own wheatgrass shoots in nutrient rich water, rinse every 5 minutes to avoid mould and then at 7 days when nutrient levels are at their peak, juice and drink immediately.
If you prefer to have all the benefits of freshly squeezed wheatgrass juice that you can fully digest, which is nutrient rich, free from mould and free from unsprouted seeds, then Vegus Juices Wheatgrass Juice is your answer.